Steps For International Students
For International Students looking to attend Nimbus, there are a few additional steps you will need to take before coming to school.
- Apply Online and Book a Tour: Complete your application and schedule your tour with one of our Admissions Associates.
- Application Fee $250 – You will receive your Conditional Letter of Acceptance. The Application Fee is a one time, non- refundable fee.
- Finance Meeting – Speak with our Financial Aid Manager to to organize a payment plan that works well for you.
- Sign Your Contract – Sign your contract and pay the tuition for your first Term. You will receive an official Proof of Enrollment.
- Apply for Study Permit – Using the Proof of Enrollment, apply for your Study Permit, arrange for accommodations and secure your hardware and software requirements.
For a step-by-step guide on Canadian visas, please read through the Canadian Citizenship & Immigration website’s helpful guide.
In most cases, in order to be eligible for a student visa, you will also need to ensure that you have sufficient funds, and be able to provide proof of funds to cover your tuition and your time of studying and living in Canada. As part of your admissions process you will be asked to speak with our Financial Advisor regarding how you plan to pay for your studies at Nimbus.
Did you know that since June 1, 2014, full-time international students at designated learning institutions are now eligible to work off-campus without a separate work permit? Working during the school year and during school breaks can help with gaining valuable Canadian work experience and defraying high international student tuition costs.
To be eligible to work off-campus, you must:
1. Hold a valid study permit;
2. Be a full-time student; and
3. Be enrolled at a designated learning institution.
If you meet these three requirements, you may work up to 20 hours a week during the school term, and full-time at designated school breaks (summer, winter holiday break and March break) without the need for a work permit. For more information please visit cic.gc.ca
Before You Arrive in Vancouver
- Consider your housing options: Nimbus currently does not have on campus student housing. However we are happy to help students from out of town find safe and comfortable accommodation. To apply for help with housing, please fill in a housing request form. Alternatively, we have provided info and links to Vancouver housing websites at our student housing page.
- Provide proof of English proficiency: If you speak English as a second or additional language, you will need to provide proof of English language proficiency. You will need to submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score along with your application.
a. TOEFL score: minimum of 65 or higher (on academic test, not general).
b. IELTS score: minimum 5.5 .
If you have any questions or concerns about the language requirements, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a all at 1-604-875-8998.
- Make sure you have medical coverage: When you arrive in Vancouver, if you do not have another form of medical coverage, you’ll need to apply for BC’s Medical Services Plan (MSP) if you will stay in BC for more than 6 months. Keep in mind that this may be an additional cost.